Saturday, September 20, 2008
Situation of Homeopathy in Malaysia
A Brief History of Homeopathy in Malaysia
By Prof Dr Nik Omar
Vice President LHMI Malaysia
Although it is not easy to fix the date of advent of Homeopathy in Malaysia, most homeopathic practitioners here aggress that around 1940 homeopathy was introduced in Malay States by Indian through British Army. The first Malays known to practice homeopathy was Dr Burhanuddin Helmy later came late Dr Mohd Noor Nordin, Dr Dali Muin, Dr Shariff Sukar, Pak Yaakub, Ab Rhaman Hashim and few others.
In 1960’s this group formed first ‘Homeopathic Society of Malaysia’ at Taiping and later Pak Yaakub formed another Homeopathic Bumiputra at Johor Baharu. The members in 1960 – 1980 was about 100 only but most of them are part time practitioners who are practicing at homes.
A Landmark in History of Homeopathy in Malaysia
In 1970 Nik Omar bin Nik Daud and Mr Ahmad Shukry the son of Burhanuddin Helmy are the first two Malays who studied formal homeopathic education oversea at Pakistan Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital and both of them qualified in 1975. Dr Nik Omar further his homeopathic education at London, U.K. while Dr Ahmad Shukry continued his study up to Master of Business Administration , MBA at Punjab University and continue further his education to Japan and never involved in Homeopathy at all.
In 1977 Dr Nik Omar returned form homeopathic studies in London and started the first modern and well equipped homeopathic clinic right in his hometown of Kota Bharu. Although homeopathy was little known and widely misunderstood at that time, the cures brought about by his expertise in homeopathy won much acclaim for homeopathy.
The Formation of first Homeopathic Academy
In 1979, with 7 students, Dr Nik Omar began teaching, thus laying the foundation of ‘The Faculty of Homeopathy Malaysia’ FAHOM [Now 2008 Faculty has produced more than 2,000 homeopaths all over the world] the faculty started a years basic ‘Diploma in Homeopathy’, four years Bachelor of Homeopathy and another two ‘Doctorate in Homeopathy’.
In addition there are four Faculty of Homeopathy training Centres throughout Malaysia i.e. HQ at Pasir Mas, Kelantan, Kota Bharu, Kuala Lumpur and Bangi, Selangor which regularly provide clinical training in different subjects for local students, and practical training for practitioners from all over the world. The law of similars and the pure tenets of Hahnemann Homeopathy are taught. Besides the faculty covered all liberal medical subjects such as anatomy, physiology, pathology, obstetrics, etc.
Unfortunately, at the same time, bogus institution sprung up, such as round table homeopathic college, flying college, etc offering ‘diplomas’ and degrees, some of them got degree from correspondence colleges oversea. Much harm was done to homeopathic because of this.
The Central Homeopathic Organization
Due to this situation, Dr Nik Omar and group of qualified homeopath formed the national homeopathic organization by the name of ‘The Registered Homeopathic Medical Practitioners Association or ‘MRHP’ and prompted a government to pass a decree and gazetted by Parliament No. 1048 / 84 and thus united all qualified homeopath in one strong society. The first president Dr Nik Omar and Secretary General Dr Mohamed Ali Hamzah. MRHP HQ is at No.11, Bangunan Tabung Haji Lama, Jalan Dato Pati, 15000 Kota Bharu, Kelantan.
In 1979 Dr Nik Omar formed another organization ‘Homeopathic Doctors without Barriers’ DRTB within MRHP. 50 members in this group has volunteers themselves in almost all humanitarian activities and works as far as in slums areas in Sri Lanka, the poor’s of Thailand, the war stricken areas in Afghanistan , the refugee at Pakistan borders, the earth quakes at Indonesia, the Tsunami victims in Malaysia, etc. More than 100,000 peoples has benefited through this free homeopathic volunteer services.
Present Homeopathic Activities in Malaysia and abroad.
In 2007 we have listed about 100 full time homeopathic practitioners 500 part times practitioners and 500 associate homeopath. There are about 50 homeopathic clinic operating throughout Malaysia to treat 27 million population. Homeopathic system of medication is coming popular in Malaysia. By end of 2007 more than 3 millions of the population has benefited with homeopathic treatments.
• DRTB Homeopathic Malaysia Volunteer Volunteers started in 1979, and work in close cooperation with members of AHML and also LHMI up till 2008 still very active and runs a free mobile clinic. The latest we help the Tsunami victim, the earth quakes in Indonesia, the flood in Johor 2007 , the poor’s in Cambodia 2006
• The most active society in Malaysia are The Registered Homeopathic Medical Practitioners and Faculty of Homeopathy Malaysia, FAHOM, AHML & LHMI
• Almost all homeopaths in Malaysia are very active giving lectures, talk and seminar to public throughout Malaysia.
• Between 2005 – March 2008 Prof Nik Omar has given more than 10 talks and lectures in Malaysia TVs, Brunei and also Beijing China TV on Homeopathy and Alternative Medicines.
• MRHP & FAHOM has organized more than 23 national Seminars & 7th International Conferences on Homeopathy in Malaysia.
• DRTB, FAHOM and LHMI members has served humanitarian works all over the world such as in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.
• Up till now 2008 Prof Nik has written more than 300 articles in journal, magazines and newspaper locally and abroad about homeopathy.
There are 10 homeopathic societies in Malaysia
1. The Registered Homeopathic Medical Practitioners Association – President Prof Dr Nik Omar
2. The Persatuan Homeopathy Iktisas – Prof Dr Zuharni Ab Ghani.
3. The Persatuan Homeopathy Bumiputra – late Prof Mohamed Yakub
4. Persatuan Homeopathy Malaysia – late Prof Burhanuddin Helmy
5. Persatuan Doktor Homeopathy – Dr Muthias Raja
6. Persatuan Homeopathy Electronik – Prof Amir Hamzah
7. Persatuan Homeopathy Sabah
8. Persatuan Sains Homeopathy Johor – Dr Hairuddin Hamid
9. Persatuan Homeopathy Sarawak
10. Majlis Homeopathy Malaysia
11. Persatuan Homeopathy Kedah – late Prof Dr Azizan Ismail
International Homeopathic Medical League –LHMI Malaysia
LHMI Malaysia was first initiated by Dr Nik Omar who met the than Dr Divan Harish Chand the President of LHMI at New Delhi in 1990 and discuss the formation of LHMI Malaysia. After gathering 25 members, Dr Nik Omar submitted the names of members and with the help of Dr Divan Vijay Chand in 1993, LHMI Malaysia was set up with first Vice President goes to Dr Nik Omar. In 2000, the Vice President goes to late Dr Azizan Hj Ismail and in 2007 the members of LHMI selected Dr Nik Omar again as Vice President for LHMI
At 63rd LHMI Congress at Belgium in 2008 Prof Dr Nik Omar was selected a vice president of LHMI for Malaysia. Malaysia sent 6 members of LHMI Malaysia to the Liga Conference at Belgium headed by Dr Nik Omar. Dr Faridah, Dr Zaharah and three others.
The regular monthly meeting and program of LHMI is organized together with The Faculty of Homeopathy Malaysia and The Registered Homeopathic Medical Practitioners Association where Prof Dr Nik Omar is the president.
Homeopathic Colleges / Academy• The Faculty of Homeopathy Malaysia – FAHOM
122 Taman University, Gelang Mas, Meranti, Pasir Mas, Kelantan, Malaysia. Tel: 019-9401915
• Zuharni Academy Sains Homeopathy – ZACH Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Persatuan PDRM Homeopathy Kedah
• Persatuan Homeopathy Bumiputra Johor
• Persatuan Homeopathy Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
Homeopathic Medical Centre & Pharmacy
• Nik Omar Homeopathy Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Bangi, Pasir Mas.
• Homeopathic Centre at Damansara Utama Uptown
• Zaitun Mulia Homeopathic Pharmacy, Kota Bharu, Kelantan.
• Dr Syafiq Homeopathy Centre, Kuala Lumpur
• Dr Zuharni Homeopathic Centre, Kuala Lumpur
• Dr Amir Hamzah Homeopathic Centre, Melaka
• Dr Mohd Nasir Homeopathic Centre, Kota Bharu, Kelantan
• Dr Azman Mat Zin Abd Rahman, Machng, Kelantan.
• Dr Rosli Mahmood, Dungun, Trengganu.
• Dr Azizan Era Edar Sdn Bhd, Jitra Kedah
• Dr Haji Mohammed Johor Baharu.
* There are more than 50 which are not listed here.
Council of Homeopathy Malaysia
This council, Majlis Homeopathy Malaysia was first formed in 2000 to unite all homeopathic societies in one body. Five big societies i.e. The Persatuan Pengamal Homeopathy, Persatuan Istisad, Persatuan Bumiputra, Persatuan Homeopathy and Persatuan Doktor Homeopathy set together and set up Majlis Homeopathy. But unfortunately that the ‘official’ in the Council was divert away from the original aim and abuse the power, resulted three of the member society split away. Only two societies left i.e. Persatuan Homeopathy Malaysia and Persatuan Homeopathy Bumiputra and paralyzed the Majlis.
Resulted that all other homeopathic disassociate and did not recognized such ‘Majlis’ and Majlis by this time is not the sole speaker of homeopathy Malaysia.
Homeopathy and Government Policy
• From the Malaysia Independent in 1957 up till 2007 Homeopathic System of Medicine was adopted and rule a government decree by Medical Act No. 34 / 1971 where by all traditional / complementary medicines are allow to practice provide they are abide by such act.
• Government of Malaysia supported all alternative / complementary medicine under a special unit with Ministry of Health that is called “Unit Traditional and Complementary Medicine or T/CM”
• There are few institution runs homeopathic courses in Malaysia. Even though the government has ‘no official reorganization’ but they did not opposed such further education. Refer letter dated 24th Sept 1986 by Tan Sri Datuk Dr Abdul Khalid bin Sahan, Director of Heath, Ministry of Health Malaysia.
“ To The Secretary, The Faculty of Homeopathy Malaysia, This is to inform you
that we have no objection to the planning of Faculty of Homeopathy Malaysia,
provided the practice is according to Medical Act 34 
• Now Ministry of Health has set up the code of ethics, code of practice and disciplinary procedures regarding T/CM in Malaysia, such as
• Regarding the practices of Homeopathy & T/CM should be identified by professional nameplates or sign of a size, color and form appropriate to the nature of the area and the location of the practice and bearing the names and qualifications of the T/CM medical practitioners practicing at the premises.
• Practitioners shall comply at all times with the requirements of the code of practice.
• Official acceptance is lacking, but the people has given top priority to the practices and full support for homeopathy and alternative treatment. Private practice is tolerated by the government. By this year Ministry of Health already set up T/CM unit in Government Hospital and first model hospital selected using integrated medicine is at Government Satellite City of Putrajaya where clinics for Acupuncture, Homeopathy and Malay Medicine are operating hand in hand with western medicines.
Related Web on Homeopathy Malaysia
Homeopathy Malaysia – http://drnikomar.tripod.com
How is Homeopathy - http://fahom.xaper.com
Infertility Homeopathy – http://infertility.xaper.com
Asian Homeopathic Medical League – http://drnikomar.tripod.com/ahml
MRHP Homeopathic Society: http://persatuanmrhp.freehomepage.com
Posted by Homeopathic Blog at 4:00 PM